Universal Design in Retirement HomesJuly 22, 2014
Tips for Moving to Your Retirement HomeJuly 22, 2014
If you’re moving to your retirement home, there’s no doubt that you’ve lived a long, full life thus far! And with that rich life comes a life’s worth of STUFF! Books, pictures, knick knacks! It all has to go somewhere! And no matter how much you get rid of, there will still be some you can’t bear to part with. Here are some organizing ideas for your new home that can help you save space while preserving your tangible memories!
- Try upright storage! People usually turn their containers and boxes horizontally, but vertical storage may be better for certain spaces.
- Shower curtain hooks can be used in a closet to hang purses and/or scarves.
- Extend bookshelves over doorways for more space. Really embrace floor-to-ceiling shelves.
- Keep extra sheet sets tucked inside a matching pillowcase to save space in a linen closet.
- Use egg cartons or disposable plastic cups to store holiday ornaments in an organized fashion.
- Hang anything on the wall! Spend two minutes on Pinterest and you can find 20 ways to hang things so that they look appealing! If you’re running low on space, find a way to mount more of your belongings.
- Add shelves to the back of the doors to cabinets. Every little bit helps.
- Behind the door shoe holders can hold ANYTHING! This may be perfect for little trinkets.
- Baskets can be used anywhere and can hold anything! With baskets you can store things in plain sight without the unattractive plastic bins.